Medium and Large Investment Streams
The 2020 Call for proposals for the Medium and Large investment streams is now OPEN.
The deadline to submit your proposal is October 28, 2020 at 5 pm (EDT).
The Quick Pitch
Get some guidance before you prepare your full proposal. For a 4-week period at the beginning of the call for proposals, institutions can complete a brief questionnaire outlining their project idea and submit it for feedback, one time only. The quick pitch is optional but recommended.
The deadline to submit a quick pitch for Virtual Museum of Canada (VMC) feedback is July 15, 2020 at 5 pm Eastern Daylight Time.
For the 2020 call for proposals, Canadian museums and heritage organizations are invited to submit proposals for online products to the VMC. All proposals must be submitted online by the deadline of October 28, 2020 at 5 pm Eastern Daylight Time.
The total investment available for this call for proposals is up to two million dollars ($2,000,000).
Online products that receive VMC investment must:
- be produced in both English and French
- be made available online for a period of five years post-launch
- comply with the VMC Technical Specifications
Institutions seeking investment:
- can request a Medium investment from the VMC of $50,000 to $150,000 per project (excluding applicable taxes), or a Large investment of $150,000 to $250,000 (excluding applicable taxes)
- can submit more than one proposal in a call for proposals
- must deliver and launch any VMC-funded project they are already working on prior to the closing date of the new call for proposals
- bear the sole responsibility of submitting their proposal(s) in a timely and correct manner prior to the closing date of the call for proposals
Notes: The Canadian Museum of History (CMH), who manages the VMC investment program, will not assume or have transferred to it those responsibilities. All risks and consequences of incorrect submission of proposals are the responsibility of the institution.
All proposals will be treated as confidential, subject to the provisions of the Access to Information Act (Canada) and Privacy Act (Canada) and any other relevant laws and regulations.
Institutions who are awarded an investment:
- enter into an agreement with the CMH, which includes the General Terms and Conditions in the sample contract
The CMH reserves the right to cancel and/or reissue the call for proposals at any time and for whatever reasons. If any addenda are issued prior to the call for proposals closing date, a notice will be posted on the website.
For more information, please contact the Virtual Museum of Canada at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The 2020 call for proposals for the Small investment stream (Community Stories) is open from June 17, 2020 to November 25, 2020.
Steps to Submit Your Proposal
Only online submissions will be accepted using our online application portal.
Step 1 – Read through the program materials:
Step 2 (Optional) – Get early feedback on your project idea
- identify subject, audience(s), storyline, desired visitor/user experience, possible technologies, potential project team – and why your project is important
- create a profile in our online application portal
- complete and submit a quick pitch by July 15, 2020 at 5 pm Eastern Daylight Time
Step 3 – Prepare your submission
- refine your concept
- gather content
- secure your project team
- obtain support letters from others involved in your project
Step 4 – Create and submit your proposal
- if you have not submitted a Quick Pitch, create a profile in our online application portal
- complete the proposal form for a medium investment ($50,000 to $150,000) or a large investment ($150,000 to $250,000)
- submit the completed proposal form, budget, schedule and any support letters through our online application portal, by October 28, 2020 at 5 pm Eastern Daylight Time
- receive email confirmation from the Virtual Museum of Canada
Once the call for proposals closes, the evaluation process takes six months, including the evaluation by the VMC Advisory Committee.
Proposals delivered after the closing date and time for the call for proposals will not be accepted.
Following a preliminary review, institutions with incomplete applications will be contacted and given the opportunity to respond in a timely manner.
All enquiries concerning this call for proposals must be submitted in writing to email@example.com by October 21, 2020 at 5 pm Eastern Daylight Time.
To ensure consistency and quality of information provided to applicant institutions, general questions and answers will be posted on the VMC website without revealing the source of the enquiry. Answers to questions that are specific to an applicant institution’s proposal will be sent to them and will not be posted on the VMC website.
A debriefing will be provided to applicant institutions on written request only, and only if the request is received by the CMH within ten (10) days following receipt of the letter of regret. The debriefing will be conducted by telephone. Written summaries of debriefings, and evaluation scores, are not provided.
Date modified: June 2020