Canadian museums and heritage organizations, including equivalent Indigenous peoples’ organizations, are eligible to apply to the Virtual Museum of Canada (VMC) Investment Program.
To be eligible, the institution submitting the proposal must:
- Be administered in the public interest for the primary purpose of collecting, preserving, documenting, interpreting, exhibiting and disseminating physical collections and/or intangible cultural heritage. This includes artistic, scientific, cultural and historical material.
- Operate a permanent establishment or site accessible to the public.
- Be an aquarium, archive, art gallery, botanical garden, cultural centre, equivalent Indigenous peoples’ organization, exhibition centre, historic house, historical society, library, museum, planetarium, preservation project or site, professional cultural association or group, zoo or other organization that meets these eligibility requirements. 
- Be not-for-profit.
- Not be a member of the Canadian Heritage Portfolio.
- Have completed any previous Virtual Museum of Canada-funded projects prior to the deadline for this call for proposals, which is October 28, 2020.
IMPORTANT: The VMC reserves the right to request proof of eligibility at any time during the quick pitch, application and proposal review processes, and to make a determination on eligibility in certain cases.
Notes: Institutions can submit more than one proposal in a call for proposals. However, the VMC will not invest in more than one project at a time from any institution.
The VMC may reject a proposal if it determines that the institution’s performance on another VMC contract was unsatisfactory or sufficiently poor to jeopardize the successful completion of a new project.
 According to the ICOM Statutes, adopted during the 21st General Conference in Vienna, Austria, in 2007:
‘A museum is a non-profit, permanent institution in the service of society and its development, open to the public, which acquires, conserves, researches, communicates and exhibits the tangible and intangible heritage of humanity and its environment for the purposes of education, study and enjoyment.’
This definition is a reference in the international community.
Date modified: June 2020