The 2019 Call for Proposals for Community Stories is now open.
The deadline to submit your proposal is February 5, 2020 at 5 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.
The Community Stories investment stream helps smaller Canadian museums and heritage organizations work with their communities to develop online exhibits that engage audiences in the stories, past and present, of Canada’s communities.
For the 2019 Call for Proposals, eligible organizations are invited to submit a proposal for an online local history exhibit on the subject of their choice. Exhibits are developed in a custom-built, user-friendly template.
Projects that receive funding through the Community Stories investment stream must be available online in both English and French for a period of five years following launch.
To complete your application, please read the guidelines and complete the online proposal form.
Download the guidelines (pdf)
Value of Investment
The VMC invests $15,000 in each awarded project. Projects typically start in May 2020.
Note: In order to attain the expected language quality, and depending on the scope of the project content, the total budget amount dedicated to text preparation should range from $6,000 – $8,000. This includes: writing, editing, translation, and comparative editing of both official languages.
Canadian museums and heritage organizations, including equivalent Indigenous peoples’ organizations, are eligible.
To be eligible for investment, an organization must:
- have completed any previous VMC-funded project prior to the deadline for this call for proposals – February 5, 2020
- not be a member of the Canadian Heritage Portfolio
- be not-for-profit
- operate a permanent physical establishment or site open to the public seasonally or year-round
- be administered in the public interest for the primary purpose of collecting, preserving, documenting, interpreting, exhibiting and disseminating physical collections and/or intangible cultural heritage
- have no more than five permanent full-time paid staff.
More detailed information is provided in the Guidelines – Eligibility.
The evaluation process is outlined in the Guidelines. This process takes two months from the proposal submission deadline.
The budget of the Community Stories investment stream is limited, and all eligible proposals are evaluated on a competitive basis.
Next Call for Proposals
2019 – Submit a proposal between November 13, 2019 and February 5, 2020
2020 – opens in June
Learn more (pdf) on how the VMC can help you create an online product.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com